Open Position: Director of Music Ministry
Position type: Part-time/Exempt: 15 hours per week
Reports to: Senior Pastor
The Director of Music Ministry is responsible for the essential religious duties of directing, coordinating, and guiding the efforts of all employees within the music ministry, including the Organist, Handbell Choir Director, and Junior Choir Director. The Director of Music Ministry enriches worship services through the selection and direction of congregational, choir, and instrumental music appropriate for the weekly scriptures and the seasons of the church year.
ESSENTIAL JOB ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Form, direct, and support musical ensembles, including adult choirs and praise band.
- Plan rehearsals. Effectively motivate and support music ministry staff and participants to optimize rehearsal time and to foster fellowship.
- Recruit new members to the music ministries and facilitate participation from all age groups within the congregation.
- Support teams responsible for running and planning sound and video during worship.
- Present new resources and ideas to program participants on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain the music library and supervise the maintenance of all instruments and AV equipment.
- Participate in the planning of worship (including selection of music, songs, and hymns) and other musical activities in the congregation.
- Schedule all choirs, ensembles, and other musicians participating in worship.
- Facilitate congregational singing at weekly services and seasonal worship services throughout the year.
- Provide outreach opportunities for music and arts outside of regular worship and beyond the walls of the church.
- Coordinate musical program during Sunday services, Wednesday and holiday services surrounding Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week and Easter.
- Coordinate coverage of responsibilities when unable to participate in church services.
- Collaborate with the Worship, Music, and Arts Committee and music ministry staff to prepare and submit an annual budget.
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility in the spending of monies allocated to the music ministry through the annual budget.